Effective communication skills are vital for success in the business world and in our everyday live.
Here are some tips to help you express yourself more clearly.
- Learn to listen. This is the most important part of being a good communicator.
- Be in the moment. Take in the other person’s thoughts and be ready to respond.
- Be sensitive to the other people’s opinions. There is something to learn from everyone. We don’t always have to agree.
- Make eye contact with people when you are speaking with them. You don’t have to stare them down, just let them know that you are paying attention.
- Learn to be heard. If you have something worthwhile to say, don’t be afraid to speak up. There are times when we all have something to contribute. Share your experience and knowledge with others.
- Do your homework. Knowledge is power. Research before you advise. Prepare at least three options to a scenario. If you are going into a business meeting, have at least three backup plans ready to discuss. That way you will not be caught off guard.
- Take voice and speak lessons. Learn to speak with distinction and authority. You don’t have to cultivate a fancy accent, just speak clearly and with breath support so you can always be heard and understood.
- Keep yourself well groomed. You’ll feel better about yourself; you’ll also feel more confident and powerful. And this confidence will show to others. When we look better, we feel better, too.
- Stand up straight. Good posture can make you look taller and more commanding. It’s also good for your spine. You’ll walk with elegance and confidence. Body language can speak louder than words.